Sunday, December 4, 2011

The gray area

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you have the personality of a black woman."

I'm not sure what the 'wrong way' is.
But how am I supposed to take it?  I'm not even sure what it meant.
I sort of shrugged it off and moved on.

But it bugs me.
And I'm not exactly sure how to put it into words.

It's not like this is the first time in my life I've heard something along these lines.  Not quite an out an out racist remark, but something that seems to steam directly underneath the surface of hate.
I spent the better part of my life living in areas that aren't exactly colorful, if you know what I mean.  That has changed a bit over the years but the attitude has not.
The only exposure some of the people in these areas have to anything other than 'the white culture' is what they see on television.
But is it up to me to be the teacher?
Is there a time and a place for these sorts of discussions?
Is it enough to hope that one day, a bigger world will open up to the offenders?
Is saying nothing wrong?

The answers to these questions are not so clear.
But perhaps just asking the questions in the first place, is a good start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd call it racist. Some might call it a stretch but it sure as hell can't be less than stereotyping, which, IMO, is being racist. I don't have to have black neighbors or best friends to know that every black person doesn't have the same personality. To imply such, is racist.
My take has basically always been not to speak up because I don't find it's my place to tell someone they are "wrong," but I refuse to contribute to a conversation, or even courtesy laugh at a tasteless joke. My straight faced silence and departure from the area is usually enough to send the message that I don't agree. And I refuse to damper my own support of open mindedness and equal rights simply to appease those who are racist.