Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'd rather listen to Jar-Jar Binks

At exactly what moment in history did the human race (or more specifically Americans) become entitled ass-holes?  
Or was this a slow moving social atrocity?

Yesterday, I took my lil man out to the movies to see Star Wars: Phantom Menace, in 3D.  I shell out almost $20 for tickets alone (a raping from the movie makers always makes my weekend extra special) and another $4.50 for M&M's.  We were 2nd in line so good seats were a guarantee.  

I must admit, Phantom Menace is my least favorite movie from the Star Wars mecca, but I was hoping that seeing it on the big screen would make it 'come to life' for me.  And if it didn't, at least I was seeing it with my favorite person in the entire world so it couldn't be all bad.

Or so I thought.

Not 10 minutes into the movie, some kid toward the front of the theater started talking very loudly.  By the speech patterns, I'd estimate he/she was around 3 years old.
He kept saying "I go home!" over and over again.  The voice started to fade so I assumed one of the parents escorted them to the lobby and that was that.
I quickly went back to being bored out of my skull   watching the movie with no more thought at all to loud children.
Then it happened again.  
And then again.
And then again.
For two hours and 13 minutes, again.

I paid how much money to sit and listen to a child ramble on about NOT liking the movie and wanting to go home?  Are you fucking serious?

Now don't get me wrong.  I have no issue with people bringing their children to the theater.  Perhaps they couldn't find a babysitter.  Maybe they thought the child would like the movie.
But if you are going to bring a youngin' to a movie theater, you need to be prepared for the fact that it might not go well.
You are not at home.
The audience is not your family.
You are not at Chuck E. Cheese.

So do everyone a favor, drop the entitlement crap and take your screaming shit machine outside, into the lobby so we can enjoy our show.

No comments: