Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The small stuff

This morning I dropped Ryan off at daycare.
A woman and her daughter walked into the front door at the same time.
An employee let us in, and both of our children ran off to put their things in their assigned slots.
The other mom signed in her daughter, turned around and walked off.
Just as I grabbed the pen, the daughter came around the corner, called out for her mom, and her face dropped seeing that her mom was long gone.

My heart sank.

After I signed in my favorite little guy, I met him at his locker (or what I usually refer to as his 'coat hole').  I fixed his collar, gave him a hug and told him to have a good day, after whispering 'I love you' in his hear.  (No need to embarrass the lad).
The entire time, that little girl stood in the hallway crying.

I wanted to hug her too, but she didn't want some stranger's comfort.  She wanted her mother.

No matter what is going on in your morning, your head or your heart, hug your child.  Tell them you love them, henpeck their forehead, or tousle their hair. 
Whatever you want to do, acknowledge them.
The other stuff going on is just that, stuff.
And it's not worth sweating over.

No comments: