Thursday, July 14, 2011

In my current state.

Last Sunday I spent the morning with two friends and shared conversation over breakfast foods.
It truly is the best way to share conversation with people.
You have eggs, carbs, syrup, and little pre-packaged gelatinous globs of jelly.
Amazing, I tell you.

We covered everything from the disassociation of society to Armageddon.  But somewhere in the middle of all of that, the topic of road trips came up.
And it reminded me of this incredible moment I shared with no one but myself.

July 1998.
I had been living in Florida since January, and let's just say it wasn't going well.  Moving back home was both scary and a huge relief, for reasons I'd rather not get into right now.

So I'm heading up 95.  I've got some great music in the CD player and my right leg is finally feeling good enough to swing back over to the gas pedal.  (True story: I did most of that trip driving with my left leg!)
Once I hit 83 I switched CD's.  I was really in the mood for a little Boys on the Side Soundtrack action. 
(Shut up...I like that movie!)
One of my favorite songs on that soundtrack is a track by Melissa Etheridge called "I take you with me".
It's one of those great songs that starts off very melodic and mellow and eventually swells to a feverish peak that usually leaves you crying during the movie.
What's not to love, right?
So here's the best part of the story.
Just as I crested a hill and saw the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign, the best part of the song came through my speakers.

Right about 2:37


Pay no mind to this video's actual content.  It was one of the only video's I could find with this song on it.

Right at that moment, the sun had peaked over the hill, I knew I was almost home and all was right with my world. This was where I supposed to be all along.
Not in some humid, ant infested state. 
And everything else that I was worried about in regards to coming back home...well it just didn't matter.

So that's my road trip moment.
Now tell me...where have you been?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I've been to too many states and 4 different countries. But there's no place like home.