I hate moving.
Hate it, hate it, hate it!
I hate packing.
I hate labeling boxes.
I hate picking up boxes.
I hate unpacking boxes.
I hate cleaning before I move in.
I hate cleaning after I move out.
I hate changing my address in every way, shape and form.
But I have discovered that there are, in fact a few good things that come out of moving.
One: I LOVE throwing things away. I didn't used to. I used to be a pack-rat, just like my grandmother. I saved everything!
But something happened to me when I moved in with my ex-husband back in 2000. There wasn't enough room for all of my stuff so it was time to pare it down a bit.
The 'old' stuff was easy to get rid of. I never had anything new until I bought my own bed in 1997 (yes I remember the year. it was the biggest friggin check I had ever written!). So getting rid of furniture that I had bought second hand, didn't really bother me much.
Other things that were passed down to me, were a little more difficult. I actually broke down in tears trying to throw away my great-grandmother's down pillow. Thinking back, it makes me friggin shudder to think of what was growing inside of that pillow...blech!
But once I started, it got much easier.
This move is no different. I keep seeing things that I know will not be moved, and will instead end up in the dumpster or given to someone who can actually use it. And it makes me smile from ear to ear.
Two: I have one ear pierced. (Side note: I tried to keep my right ear pierced last year, but apparently my lobes are very sensitive and after a year of keeping my starter ear-ring in...it still hadn't healed. I'm totally shaking my head at my pussy-ness)
Five years ago I bought myself one diamond stud ear-ring for my pierced ear. When I moved into this dump three years ago, I lost it.
I looked everywhere...nothing.
Tonight I was going through some old stuff and deciding what to keep and what to throw out.
When what does my wondering eye notice?
MY EAR-RING!!
Shiny sweetness.
So that's at least two things that aren't so bad about moving.
It's not an epidemic of good feelings, but it's a start.
3 comments:
I myself have the "pack rat" instinct. Maybe after I help you move, you can come help me "toss".....
oh yes my sister definitely needs help parting with her stuff!
i personally adore it. i refuse to any longer keep stuff just to have it. i won't keep anything that has no actual use beyond sitting somewhere in a rubbermaid bin collecting sentimental value. if i can't use it or at least display it, it's gone.
Lisa, you give me an hour in your house and it will feel like a new place when i'm done.
i do make a few exceptions, mostly seasonal stuff, and one small box of things from Ryan.
but if i haven't seen in it 6 months, it goes.
Post a Comment