Friday, April 15, 2011

What it's about...

Today I've been packing and taking stuff over to my new house.
I have been so busy I haven't really had time to do much of anything else.
So it was sort of nice to have my neighbor stop by.
C (and his then wife J) were our best friends while Shane and I were married.
After things went awry, we all drifted apart.
It couldn't have been easy being around either one of us.  Shane had a girlfriend, I was angry and we were all faking the pleasantries for Ryan's sake.
Turns out, things were kind of weirder, since C and J were going through their own marital turmoil. 

C had stopped by to say 'welcome' and to offer his help moving if I needed it.

I had thought about what I was going to say to him.  I hadn't seen him since I left three years ago.  And knowing that he did the same thing to his wife that Shane did to me, made me sort of angry with him. 

But then I realized something today. 
C was my friend.
I liked him.  And even though he did something stupid I still liked him, he was still my friend.

Over the last few years I've been so clouded with anger and bitterness.  And I started to judge people based on how I thought they should be, instead of allowing them to just be and love them anyway.

It's not about how perfect we are.  It's about the decisions we make, and how we make up for the mistakes we've made.
And more importantly, it's how we support the people we love and care about.

So while I'm sort of off the grid next week, do me a favor.
Call a friend you haven't spoken to in awhile, be a little extra nice to someone who challenges you, and make sure to treat yourself a little nicer too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder. I will try to be a better person.

Anonymous said...

deja vu! was just reading some very similar sentiments in the 'love dare' book from the fireproof movie