Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Miracles of Modern Medicine

I have a co-worker who has been ill. She never talked about it at all, until about a year ago when she accidentally let it slip that she 'might be dying.' I didn't feel bad for her; I didn't cry for her. I didn't ask her a bunch of questions like, "How are you feeling today?" and "What's new on the chemo front?". Her and I have had always had our issues. We are both stubborn and opinionated so that doesn't always make for a good combination. But that's not why I let her be. I didn't bug her, or talk about her to others because she didn't want anyone to. She made it very clear that she didn't want to be treated differently. So that is what I did. Truth be told, I've always respected her. I LIKE debating with her because she challenges me. So I am very happy to report that as of last week, she has been given a clean bill of health!! No more cancer! YES! I can not say enough just how happy I am for her. More importantly, the next time she annoys the shit out of me, I'll have a huge smile on my face. Because I've been given a gift as well. Time.

No comments: