Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Sharing of Creativity

Some of you may know that I've been working on a novel. Actually I've been working on several at one time. I can't help it. I get these awesome ideas and I have to at least get something down or I will forget them. And that would just be a waste. One of them is actually a fan-fiction based on the Twilight characters. That one is just for me (and of course Miss Becky) and will never, ever be published. It's more like a place that I can escape to when I'm in need of a vacation. I love spending time with those characters and they always make me feel refreshed and re-energized when I visit. Another one is a a lovely story of strength and adversity through love and understanding. I can not say enough how in love with these characters I am. There are three main characters and all of them have something to learn about themselves, and more importantly they have so much to give to one another. I don't want to give too much away, but Valerie, Jack and Kate feel like family to me. I can't wait to complete this story and share it with the world. The other two I'm working on feel more like television shows to me, and I'm rethinking how I want to share them. Let's back up a step. When I'm creating a story on paper it usually starts with one idea. That idea plays out like a scene, in my head. I'll see the characters interacting physically and emotionally. I might not see exactly what they look like but I can tell who is male and female, and get the general basics of their personalities. Things do change as the story progresses, but it all starts with that one scene. Now that scene is not always in the beginning of the story so I have to build around it. For example: The fan fiction that I'm writing actually started with an idea that is chapter 4. It started off as a day-dream that I kept having while I should have been paying attention during daily meetings. It bothered me so much that I HAD to write it down. After that I jumped back and forth between other ideas until finally they all met together and I'm moving forward from here on out. Basically the entire story is in my head and I just have to type it all out. Now, when I think of these last two stories I'm talking about, they started off the same way, with one scene. However, I don't see it laid out in one flat story. I see several, for each. So it feels more like a series than just one novel. For me to release it that way, I don't think I would make any money, and I feel like I'd lose my audience too quickly. So I'm rethinking how I want to share them. Blogging! Sort of. Instead of writing about my life and thoughts, I would like to release a chapter every so often. I don't want to charge people; I want this to be free. I think it would be a great way to introduce people to me as a writer. I can create a fan base (even if that is only a few friends and family) before I even publish my other works. There is only one problem that I'm not sure how to handle. I want this to remain my work. And the internet is a breeding ground for stealing and 'borrowing' other peoples' work. So how do I protect the work so that others can't copy and paste it for their very own? So until I figure that out... All this and I'm starting my search for my first house. !! Yeah, I'd rather write.

No comments: